Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Importance of Rest!!!

I am taking a rest day today! Enjoying my coffee and not going to workout! I have worked out hard this week and am sore! I have been a runner since my teen years and worked in the fitness industry since my early 20's. One thing I have learned is that your body needs a rest day! Since, I have started this (rest thing) I have not been injured from over-training. I have certainly taken tumbles down the trails, streets and stairs and gotten injured, but not from training. I always rest at least one day a week now!...no working out for one day!

I know it is so hard to take a day of rest when you are a triathlete, marathoner, runner, swimmer, someone trying to lose weight or other daily fitness addict. You feel that it will derail your fitness or weightloss...or just throw you off your fitness regimine. But, that is wrong, especially, if you are pushing yourself 75-90% of your max and feeling tired...even if you aren't particulary tired- you need at least one day of rest from any kind of working out each week. Unless, you are an elite, but most of us aren't!

Rest will help with your mental outlook, help your fitness level (yes!) and help your body recover (to prevent injuries). Cross-training on one of the other days you work out helps, too. Also, getting a good nights sleep helps training, too. Check out this article in Runners World on sleep. There are more, I think you get the idea, but a good night's sleep is important, too!

No comments: