Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Beef???????

So much to say about this and don't know where to start!! I had a friend I adore refer me to the Texas Beef Council Team. I checked it out and found out that they sponsor you in races. I thought great and didn't know much else about it until I did the webinar today.

I did learn a lot...I am a nutrition/fitness/health junkie....beef has a lot of health benefits. It is a powerhouse for protein. b vitamins and monounsaturated fat. Monounsaturated fat is the good stuff!..think olive oil, avocados...and you should not be scared of fats....remember moderation. Being sponsored and powered by beef will be on my shirts that I wear in the races that they will sponsor for me and the team.

Well, I posted my knowledge on Twitter and Face book, unknowing that it is a such HOT topic. I am not going to pretend that I have had my doubts about beef and watch how much I eat (but I do that with everything). But, in the last 10 years I have certainly ate more beef (and felt good about it) than I did in my 20's. I was advised my my doctor to eat more lean beef and meats in my 20's for protein (because I was lacking). I also craved beef when I was pregnant...could not stomach my favorite fish-salmon! It was so hard and so confusing for my health-nut personality.

Fast forward to the 2000's and I have read about how beef has heart healthy fat and grass fed beef has even more heart healthy fat the conventional beef.

My motto is always "moderation"..here is a quote from Mens Fitness that says that and more..

* A three-ounce serving of lean beef contributes less than 10 percent of calories to a 2000-calorie diet, yet it supplies more than 10 percent of the Daily Value for nine essential nutrients.

I hope you will do your own research and see that beef is not the "bad guy" that is is portrayed to be!!

No comments: