Monday, October 12, 2009

Run Austin Run Half Marathon

I ran the 1st Annual Run Austin Run Half Marathon in Austin, Texas yesterday. It was a great day in ATX for a run, cool and overcast. It was about 56 degrees and dry until about 9:10am and then it started to rain and it was cold for this Texan!! (As I have written in my other blogs, it was a long, hot summer!) But, I love the cold!!

The race also featured a 5K and 10K. The route was a grueling, hilly route around some of the most beautiful and hilliest neighborhood roads in Austin. I am very familiar with most of the roads because I have trained on them for many years, but I was not really prepared for the route!! I decided to run the race a couple days ago. I kept thinking of the Decker Challenge while running this race. I am still trying to determine which is harder. Decker has longer hills and has a lot of wind on the course from the rural location. RAR had a lot of short, steep inclines.

I would recommend the race, it was in an easily accessible area of town and well marked and generally well-staffed.  There were not of lot of race spectators, but I figure it was because of it being a new race. It was also beautiful and a distance we (ATX) need (and like) at this time of the year. I definately saw some kinks that need to be worked out, but that is because I am a race veteran. They needed more water stops between miles 8-11 ( I don't think there was one between these miles, just at 8 and 11). Also, the water stops were not well staffed and the water cups were filled too full. I really don't want to whine or gripe about this though because I think race volunteers are WONDERFUL!! I also saw at least two EMS trucks driving and watching the race participants (very cautious). I can't say a lot about the after party because I got cold and left quickly after the rain started. But, it did look like they spent a lot of time on the after party.

One more thing about the race that needs to be worked out. More time to pick up race packet!! The only time was between 10 and 5 on Saturday before the race. I had to have my mom pick up my packet for me because we were so busy this Saturday. Which I am sure many families are!!

I am sore today and ran the race in 1:41, not my best time, but ok for the course and training. As my daughter said, "you aren't even training Mommy, why are you running a race?" I placed 4th in my age-group. I am happy with my results and will probably run it again next year!!

No comments: