Thursday, September 4, 2008

Training and other random thoughts

Well, with school starting, my workouts have been taken to a new level and it is so much fun! I ran 5 mile warm-up before our Gazelles workout yesterday with Laurie. We ran about 8.5 minute pace. Gilbert had us do a circuit workout at Austin high and we did a few new strengthening moves. A few that I loved were jumping up (and back down) with both feet together, on a box that was 2 feet high, kicking a 6-8lb medicine ball with two feet while lying down and hopping 15 times on one foot with an 8 pound weight. That last sentence was describing 3 different exercises, if I wasn't clear :) We also did lunges, push-ups (the real kind!), superman (for your back), sit-ups and pull-ups. I also swam about a 1/2 mile at Deep Eddy afterward. I am a little sore today! All in all it was a great workout.

I ran an easy 5 miles today. I teach my trail class at Wild Basin tomorrow, so we have a 6 mile run planned. I am trying to psyche myself into my Saturday (yes, I am already thinking about it) long run. I know it will be around 16-18 miles.

I have started running my Saturday long runs with my neighbor, also a gazelle and a very fast runner. We ran 14 miles last Saturday. It was great! She has one gear though-fast! We ran 14 miles at a 8:15 pace! It was so challenging. She is great for me though, she helped convince me to try to qualify for New York and I did!

Also, Austin has a new grassroots (as they call it) site to keep you informed about Austin running. http://www.keepaustinrunning.org/ It has local races posted, favorite running routes, info about the city council task force on road closures and much, much more. Check it out!

No comments: